Friday, June 14, 2013

"I'll pray for you"


In the recent past, I have made a public request regarding people praying for me. Specifically, don't. That has apparently prompted one twitter theist to add me to his "desperately in need of prayer list". On the surface this little aspect of social media seems innocent, but is it? What's wrong with praying for someone? Nobody gets hurt, right? Lets think about this: Do I really believe that this list was created so that the theist and his followers can peacefully sit about and think positive thoughts about me? Do they truly have concern for my 'soul'? I fear a far more plausible explanation is that this is a list to identify those individuals present in a public forum, such as twitter, that think differently from them. To identify dissenters. To point them out in such a way as to encourage rabid bigotry so they can feel better about themselves, and even more powerful in their beliefs. I remain unconvinced that this was an attempt to affect me in any kind of positive way. On the contrary, I am certain that this list is a manifestation of passive aggressive hatred. Theists are still just human, and like the rest of us they are often imperfect in wonderful ways. 

So, unfortunately, I have come to understand that "I'll pray for you" is the theist's version of a condescending "fuck you". Lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you and to add, it is an actual avenue for them to "feel better" about themselves instead of actually doing something about any given situation. An example would be when the tornadoes destroyed parts of Tuscaloosa and the Pratt City area, many of my Christian friends were "praying" while my agnostic and atheist friends were all out physically trying to help those in need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that deserves an 'amen'! Be the change you want to see in the world - which requires DOING, not praying.

      Delete